LinkedIn is basically a business-oriented social networking service that was founded in December 2002 and then launched on May 5, 2003. Its main aim is to be used for the professional networking.
The basic functionality of the social media-LinkedIn allows the registered users which may be workers or employers, who can create their profiles and can make “connections” to the other LinkedIn users in the social network which represents the real-world professional relationships and contacts. Users can send invites to anyone which may be a site user or may not be a site user to become a connection over LinkedIn. However, if the invitee, to whom the invites has been sent, selects the option “I don’t know” or option of “Spam”, it is counted against the inviter who sent invite. If the inviter tends to get many of such responses, then his LinkedIn account may be restricted or even closed.
The list of connections over LinkedIn can be used in different ways such as:
- For Obtaining the introductions to the connections of already existing connections which are termed as second-degree connections and also to the connections of second-degree connections which can be termed as third-degree connections
- Users can also find jobs or people and other business opportunities which may be recommended by someone in an individual’s contact network.
- The employers can also list the jobs and thus search for potential and suitable candidates.
- The Job seekers can review the profiles of hiring manager and employers to discover which of their existing connection can introduce them.
- Users can also post their own photos and even view the photos of other users to aid in identification of the individual.
- The Users can follow various companies over LinkedIn and can thus receive the notifications about the new joining and offers which are made available.
- The LinkedIn Users can save the jobs or bookmark them which they would like to apply for in future.
- The Users can even like or congratulate on the updates and new employments of the other users.
- The Users can know about who has visited their profile page in a particular day.
To handle a great number of mails that are sent to its users every day with the notifications for the messages or profile views or about the most important happenings in the individual’s network, and various other things, LinkedIn uses a platform known as Momentum email platform from the Message Systems.
The groups over the LinkedIn resemble a platform for the members of the group to have discussion on a particular topic, moderated by the owners of the group or the managers. The groups over LinkedIn can be private which means accessible to only those who are members of the group or can be even open to all the internet users in general, although they need to join the LinkedIn in order to post messages over the group.
Thus LinkedIn provides a platform to the professionals to connect and have their business motives accomplished.